Sunday, February 16, 2014

Learning Blog #4 Comprehension for mute learners


As a teacher making autonomous readers and teaching metacognition strategies is something I have always struggle with. These are things that really happen inside a child’s brain and every brain is different. One of my undergrad professors ended every class by saying “our job would be a cake walk if we could just open a student’s head and see what they missed.” Comprehension strategies are key to making an autonomous reader but we cant make them comprehend. I really love how this chapter breaks teaching comprehension strategies down to begin with communications skills. I never really thought about if a student cant communicate effectively it can hinder their reading comprehension. I am currently teaching a 5th grade inclusion class and I have two students who are selectively mute. One student will whisper to any teacher when spoken to but the other student has not said a single word all year. This makes it even more difficult to understand where students are in their reading comprehension. The only way these students communicate is through written expression. Even though I believe that focusing on communication in general and about what they have read is a great step for my main stream students but I am wondering how skipping this step affects my mute students. One thing I really like about these reading strategies is that most if not all of them can be adapted to involve written expression. I believe as the teacher we need to verbally model these strategies but these strategies do not leave my mute students unable to participate.
            The most important things to remember when creating and using reflection activities is to; Be open-ended, provide multiple entry-points, deal with intellectually important content, and if you use partner or group projects provide clear evaluate criteria.  Do you believe that not being able to verbally communicate will hinder your comprehension skills?

No comments: